Saturday 23 July 2011

Just Another Fortnight At Camp


I continue to find that I have limited time to do anything other than enjoy myself. I think I actually have the best job on camp. This week, I was sent on a 3 day outing to Baltimore, on an excursion with the kids. Yes, I had responsibilities, but essentially, I was paid to watch the Baltimore Orioles beat the Boston Red Sox, paid to spend all day at an awesome theme/ water park, paid to devour a fabulous buffet dinner, followed by a showing of the musical Anything Goes and paid to stay in a business hotel. The behaviour of the children was much better than it has been on camp, so my job really was a walk in the park.

The week before that was as close to a regular week at camp as I’m going to have. Because my kids are some of the oldest and go on trips, their timetable is continually changing. However, I enjoy the variety, which many people don’t experience if they are working at the same program area all day, every day. I have been striking up some great relationships with the kids as well. I can joke around with them and it’s for this reason that it doesn’t really feel like a job, more just having a good time.

This said, there were some unusual activities last week. We had the International Children’s Festival, the highlight of which was a carnival day, with exciting stalls for the kids to spend money on. I believe this is the reason why Linda told me to bring my saxophone, because I found myself leading a group of about 50 staff members as we processed around camp playing Oh When The Saints Go Marching In. I happily engaged in a number of activities, including being dunked in a tub of freezing cold water and busk-dancing in the middle of camp. I am pleased to say that I raised $7 for charity.

The only downside at the moment would have to be the heat. Today, the heat index was to be 115°F, which means that it will feel like 46°C. I am genuinely scared of what is in store; so far, I have avoided getting sunburnt and am staying healthy; it seems strange to think that there is only a little over 4 weeks remaining. The time is going to fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment