Saturday 25 January 2014

Time's Up Tomsk!

Apparently responding to my comments last week, the cold has returned with a vengeance. It’s a cold that will freeze your water bottle, cause icicles to form in your nostrils and even make your I-pod stop working. It’s a bitter cold, but it’s exactly what I was hoping for. Anyway, the end of my Siberian odyssey is, regrettably, upon us. It is a journey that has taken me to the depths of Siberia, with Baikal and Altai the highlights, as well as allowing me to experience that joyous reality that is, of course, life in Tomsk. From a TV appearance to being beaten with branches by some Sergei or other, Tomsk really has had it all. I’d like to wrap up my time in Russia by looking at the some of the things that will no longer be a regular feature in my life.


Before

After

Pelmeny

Pelmeny is, as you may have previously gathered, a simply sensational dish. Flavoursome doesn’t quite do it justice. A mincemeat mixture of beef and pork, wrapped in a thin layer of dough, it is perfect for a hungover day, not least because it takes approximately 4 minutes to cook. These glorious pockets of heaven have stolen a place in my heart and will be sorely missed.

Snow

I have become accustomed to seeing a thick blanket of snow all around town. It makes everything look nice, all the time. The sound of crunching snow underfoot is one of those memories that you can’t convey in photos. Also, hardened snow is great for sliding. I will miss sliding. Sliding is great fun. Falling over is less fun, but watching a stranger fall over is absolutely priceless…

The River Tom under ice and snow

Cigarette Smoke

The lack of a smoking ban has rather irritated me. Every time I go to a bar, club, restaurant or café, the smell of cigarette smoke looms in the air. It clings to your clothes, meaning putting a wash on has become a painfully regular occurrence. In my opinion, pretty much anything bar underwear can be worn more than once. The jumper, for example, can be worn a good few times before it needs a wash. But not here! My levels of personal hygiene are through the roof…

Curfew

This one has been a real pain. Being forced to return before midnight or after 6am can be problematic. It means you have to leave bars at around 23:15, or stay, and risk everyone leaving shortly after midnight. Fortunately, I have become more and more friendly with the babushkas who sit at the entrance, so occasionally I can return later. It is certainly something that I will be glad to see the back of…

Greetings

When you bump into some friends, the protocol is simple. Men shake hands with men. That’s it. There’s none of this kissing on the cheek business that we have, which only makes a situation more awkward. If you don’t know how many kisses to give or whether just to hug it out, the tension can be unbearable. If you’re exceptionally unlucky, nightmarish calamities, such as banging heads or brushing lips may ensue. The Russians don’t even run the risk of such horrendous social abominations from taking place. The simplicity of the procedure here means that I can stride confidently up to any group of friends, knowing exactly what is about to happen. Unless there are other foreigners there, in which case the whole theory is thrown into absolute chaos.  

Zlata

Zlata Ognevich was Ukraine’s entry to the Eurovision Song Contest last year. Despite the magnificence of her song Gravity, she did not manage to win the competition, even though we all know she was far better than that Danish tree hugger. I promise I’m not bitter. Fortunately though, I have had the pleasure of hearing her song played in cafes, shops, restaurants and several hundred times on my computer. The note she hits at 2:02 is a sensation. She isn't bad to look at either... 




I could go on, but a 4:30am wake up call is looming large. I shall leave you with one final snippet of Russian wisdom. The well-know fable of a stork bringing newborn babies to their parents, used to avoid telling children about reproduction, is also popular in Russia. But not as popular as the idea that babies are found in cabbages, superbly depicted in the picture below. Quite simply, you just cannot make this stuff up. Tomsk, Siberia, Russia, it has been an absolute pleasure.

"You were found in a cabbage, son"

No comments:

Post a Comment