Tuesday 25 August 2015

My Edinburgh Fringe Debut

The Edinburgh Fringe, the world’s largest arts festival, is a celebration of all things kooky, quirky and arty, in one of Britain’s most charming cities. The Fringe needs no promotion; the streets are heaving constantly with punters and performers, and all the while there is an excited buzz about the place. And so, rather than attempt to ‘sell’ the fringe, I thought it better to recount a couple of my experiences, performing alongside professional comedians in the role of the conspicuous, crutching oaf.

First things first, I should preface everything with a warning: Edinburgh is a hilly city, full of winding cobbled streets and stone passageways, all of which can be slippery when wet. This being Scotland, rain is never far away and when you add a dash of ‘cumbersome man on crutches’ to this steep, wet and bumpy concoction, the results can be amusing for a fortunate onlooker. Luckily for me, I kept falling over to a minimum, despite taking the odd rather embarrassing tumble.

Spooky Edinburgh by night
However, undoubtedly my most embarrassing moment spent on the floor in Edinburgh came during a show. ‘Goose’ was a fast-paced, quite bizarre, one-man comedy show, full of terrible jokes and, alas, audience participation. In a dramatic plot twist, it was revealed that members of the public would be roped in to act the final scene. The chosen two were a young man wearing an outfit that wouldn’t look out of place in a B*Witched music video, and me. I was pulled on stage, the large boot on my left leg apparently nothing more than a fashion statement and invited to dance with a fellow audience member on stage. I desperately protested that I was unable to walk, but this didn’t deter my, for want of a better word, colleague. Following the odd instructions blaring out of the speakers, he threw me to the floor, straddled me and leaned in to kiss me. Helpless and confused, but not wanting to ruin the show, I avoided squirming too much as the lips of this effervescent and frankly audacious man met mine. It was an unexpected surprise, but one that caused great amusement. It is a mark of the quality of the show that I left feeling satisfied, despite being forced to go through such an ordeal.

Far, far, FAR too close...
Other shows passed without incident. Comedian Jimeoin and multivocal, loop-pedalling musician, Beardyman, were both excellent. But during Ivo Graham’s stand-up gig, the curse of my leg would strike again. A sitting target for conversation, it was perhaps unwise to sit in the front row, but it is the kind of poor judgement that has arguably defined the last few months of my life. I panicked unforgivably when put under the spotlight and gave rather silly answers to his questions about Tinder, the dating app, in that they invited laughs and further questioning. The ins and outs of what I said are trivial details, and if anything, the upshot of all of this is that I received a reply to my tweet from Ivo himself, and we are therefore now best of friends.

The first step to impending stardom
The festival is sensational. It is no wonder that thousands of performers and punters return year after year to indulge in its delights. “My Fringe” was eventful and very enjoyable. I would highly recommend making the trip if you haven’t been as the abundance and standard of shows is astonishing. Although, if you’re a broken man on crutches, perhaps it’s best to steer clear, to save your health and your dignity.



No comments:

Post a Comment