Sunday 10 April 2011

The Argentinian Asado

I arrived in Argentina on a Saturday night, in the wine region of Mendoza. Straight away I went for an asado (BBQ). The volume of meat was unbelievable; literally a mountain of various meats happily sizzling away. Whilst in Mendoza I took a wine tour which included a trip to an olive oil and chocolate factory. The real highlight was the free samples of everything. There was a Mexican Fiesta at the hostel with tacos and guacamole etc.. and I had a really good laugh with some Brazilians I had met earlier.

I've spent the last 5 days in Cordoba, which has to be my favourite city that I have ever visited. There are 7 universities and therefore a lot of students and a great party scene. As a result I have gone out almost every night here. Clubs work very differently here; everyone dances with everyone and it doesn't mean anything. I do enjoy it because you can just let loose and end up having a lot more fun.

I have done some cultural things too this week. I visited one of the Jesuit Missions which was a very impressive architectural feat, although the guide's English was very hard to understand. I also visited the 'Memory Museum' which remembers those who lost their lives and freedom at the hands of the Argentinian Secret Police back in the 1980's.

On Thursday, I went on a day trip to a tiny village about 3 hours from Cordoba called La Cumbrecita. It looks like an alpine village and even had a few signs in German. It is surrounded by hills so we (two Americans and a French guy) ascended the amusingly named 'Cerro Wank' hill at 1715 metres. The views were really special because there are no cities for miles, just endless countryside. Down in the town, I took a very cold, but refreshshing dip at the base of a small waterfall.

Last night I had another asado party, which was again outrageously tasty. I get the feeling that the Argentinians love to go big on everything they do. Ive been staying at the Tango Hostel here and the atmosphere is great; I'm definitely going to have to come bak some day. I'm heading off to Buenos Aires tomorrow, possibly on no sleep at all, so I'm sure it will be a very interesting bus journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment