Friday 29 April 2011

A Uruguayan Sunset

Cabo Polonio is a remarkable place. After a half an hour journey across the sand dunes by buggy, you arrive at a tiny village, perched on the coast. Seeing this village here and walking along the rolling and dunes was impressive enough, but then the sun set. It was a panoramic view, a dazzling, 360 degree whirl of colour. The orangy-red haze as the sun disappeared behind the dunes, slowly fading into a deep purple over the swirling ocean. Spectacular. Unfortunately, my overriding feeling was just how cold it had become. When I had set out, the sun had been shining and shorts and flip-flops were the perfect attire. But the lack of sun, combined with the sea breeze meant that the buggy ride back was freezing. The Uruguayans, dressed in coats, hats and scarves clearly felt sorry for me in my chilly condition and continuously offered me Máte (a herbal concoction, similar to tea) in an attempt to warm me up. I don't particularly like the taste, but I appreciated the gesture all the same. 

My Easter Sunday sunrise was pretty spectacular too, further up the coast at Punta del Diablo. Rising over the waves, the sun was hot as I lay on the beach, savouring the warmth after the cold of the previous night. The people there seemed to have forgotten that it was Easter Sunday, due to living such a relaxed beach lifestyle. I could easily have spent much longer there, but I was keen to spend a few more days in Buenos Aires before heading into Brazil. 

On Monday I was back into the Milhouse hostel routine with Xavier. We played pool against two English guys for about half an hour and I successfully managed to pretend to be French for the entire time. My disguise basically consisted of the phrases I remembered from GCSE and the words to the Flight of the Conchords song, 'Foux de Fafa'. I also managed to impress some Glaswegians with my Kevin Bridges impression, which made me very happy indeed.

On Tuesday, Xavier and I attempted to visit the zoo in Lujan, but horribly misjudged our timings and ended up missing the zoo completely. All that Lujan had to offer was a relatively impressive cathedral, but it wasn't the animal experience we had been hoping for...

I have really enjoyed being in Buenos Aires. It is a really fantastic city, with a lot to see and do, as well as an incredible nightlife. I will certainly miss the Argentinian food and lifestyle, but I'm sure Brazil will have a lot to offer.. I can't imagine that I'm going to forget my time here in a hurry; it has been great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment