Saturday 18 August 2012

UK Road Trip


Since my return from far away lands almost a year ago, this travel blog has shrivelled to a stagnant, literary mess, serving only to voice occasional sporting views and other largely irrelevant opinions. And yet, it would seem that I once again have the opportunity to describe some form of travel experience. Yesterday, I embarked upon my greatest, personal, driving challenge, all the way from Wimbledon, to Derby, Coventry and Birmingham. My chosen route may not be as glamorous as previous expeditions through Germany’s Rhine Valley, Bolivia’s breathtaking salt flats, or Siberia’s vast, harsh plains, to name but a few; it has however been similarly enlightening and educational.

A mere 25 minutes into our journey, Abigail and I encountered the dangers of London driving, as our travel vehicle, the quaint Volkswagen Polo, was attacked by soaps, sprays and brushes in Brent Cross. Despite our alarm, we stayed strong in the face of adversity, or in this case, several Eastern European windscreen washer women. Shaken, we soldiered on, shortly enjoying the delights of the M1. I love traffic. There is nothing more satisfying than sitting in a slow moving, unexplained queue in a stuffy car, with the stench of manure seeping through the temperamental air conditioning unit. You can imagine my delight as wave after wave of traffic continued to slap us in the face, with the audacity to proffer no explanation as to its cause; no nonsensical lane reduction, not even the occasional burning HGV.

Eventually, we arrived at Derby’s rush hour traffic, the city’s “in bloom” campaign providing us with great entertainment. Indeed, the monotony of midlands traffic was certainly nullified by a few hedgerows decorated with flowers and repeatedly spelling out the word “Derby”. In actual fact, I cheekily used the queues to work on my German skills, which, alas, remain fairly limited. But having wriggled out of the city centre, we were rewarded with smooth, undulating roads, devoid of stray cars.

I dropped my charge at her destination and continued winding my way through Derbyshire’s countryside, now heading South, following signs to Lichfield. The road was enjoyable, the scenery pleasant, but I was plagued with doubt as to the future of my chariot. The petrol was depleting rapidly; it was as if the untouched, rolling fields were mocking me as they continually refused to provide me with fuel to feed my transportation. The A515 was one thing, but when the M6 Toll, M6 and M42 failed as well, I began to worry. My spirits were lifted as I stuttered along the A45 to Coventry; I had spied the high roof of a petrol station. Imagine my despair upon discovering that it was merely a car wash. An amiable gentleman informed me that I could refuel two miles down the road. His estimation was dangerously optimistic, but I did manage to survive for long enough.

The petrol fiasco had cost me bags of time. I was now running late for my appointment at Coventry Rugby Club. I was briefly thrown by the lack of signage and confusing one-way systems. I still managed to see the bulk of the game, a friendly between Coventry and Nuneaton. Coventry ran out comfortable winners, as was expected of a side, two divisions Nuneaton’s senior. My friend, James, played well, with a great assist for Coventry’s opening try. At the end, there was a feeling of expectation; perhaps Coventry’s rugby side could bring sporting success to the city after their football club’s relegation to League 1.

The final leg of my journey was short and sweet as I retraced my tracks down the A45, sweeping below the city and into South West Birmingham. I was treated to my first ever Birmingham Balti by my hosts. My choice of chicken pakora and chicken dopiaza were superb, but I was most impressed by the sheer size of the table naan presented to us. I had reached the end of my journey for the day and was eventually able to rest my head.

As I’m sure you’ve gathered, my experiences were not ground-breaking; they were not exceptional, and yet, they were new. The M1 may be a terrible road to drive on, but I needed to find that out for myself first. I enjoyed my exploration that took me through over 200 miles of Midlands countryside. I had ups and downs, traffic then freedom, hopes and fears. It truly was an epic journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment