Sunday 19 August 2012

Premiership Opening Day 2012


It looked set to be a nearly perfect opening day. And it so very nearly was. QPR were getting hammered at home, perfectly demonstrating how shocking their defending and performance can be; Liverpool were embarrassing in defeat, Suarez’s missed chance tally almost into double figures; Arsenal couldn’t find the net either (despite actually looking quite good…) and Stoke were cruising at 1-0, a debut goal from Michael Kightly. Really, the only disappointment for me was that West Ham were leading.

I should probably explain my opinions on certain teams. As a Stoke fan, I think it is fairly acceptable to dislike Arsenal purely for the way the Arsene Wenger has labelled us, even though his team’s disciplinary record has been worse than ours for a few seasons. However, my real dislike for Arsenal goes back to a third round FA Cup tie in 2003. Wayne Thomas had given us the lead, but Arsenal clawed us back thanks to a couple of set pieces from very debatable refereeing decisions. Reyes, Pires and Ljunberg were all extremely capable of throwing themselves to the ground for free kicks and that’s exactly what they did. Even Wenger admitted that the decisions had been harsh.

West Ham are another team that I have despised for a few years. This is largely due to the behaviour of their fans. Large portions of their supporters seem more intent on winding up the opposition fans, rather than watching the game. Of course, every club’s fans enjoy doing that, but I have never see nit to such an extent as at Upton Park. The other thing that really riles me about them is their belief that they belong in the top flight. They have been relegated enough times with decent players and management to be entirely undeserving of this ridiculous belief.

I was devastated on the final day of last season, as I’m sure football fans, neutrals and foreigners alike were, because QPR had managed to avoid relegation. Now that they have plenty of money to dish out, they seem to feel that they too have a right to be in the Premiership. It is infuriating to see them buying so many players, but unbelievably satisfying when these players fail to perform. I can only hope that all their spending doesn’t save them from the drop this season. I have a real problem with Mark Hughes. I remember when the rumours began that he might take over from Neil Warnock. My dad said to me the day before he arrived: “Hughes will only go to QPR if they give him at least £30M to spend.” We were both in agreement that he is a hopeless manager without funds. And sure enough, he was given £30M. He is an embarrassment to their team and to the Premiership in my humble opinion.

Of course, my most hated team continues to be Chelsea. I have always lived near Chelsea, so I am unfortunate enough to be friends with several Chelsea fans, although many more surprisingly emerged in 2004…. As the vast majority of the universe would agree, John Terry deserves to be transported away and never allowed to return. It’s a shame because there are many Chelsea players that I really like, but all I can do is despise them while Terry continues to be a part of the club. I was disappointed to see them win the Champions League, but have to respect that tactically they rose to the challenge. Failure for Chelsea this season would please me greatly.
And so, it was almost a perfect day, until Reading’s 90th minute equaliser. I am confused as to why the referee gave the penalty after playing an advantage for Reading, but I suppose you can’t win them all. Here’s to another cracking season.


No comments:

Post a Comment