Thursday 6 September 2012

Andy Roddick: A Tribute

I was greatly saddened last night to witness the end of Andy Roddick's tennis career. He has always been one of my favourite players, one who I could watch and support for hours on end. But, all good things must come to a end, and Roddick's career unfortunately falls into this category. I don't quite know why I admire Roddick so much; his tennis ability is not spectacular and his serve action is peculiar, but he is a player that makes me want to watch. The Americans will make a big thing out of it, particularly as he is the last US male to win a grand slam, but I do feel that their extravagance may for once be deserved.

I was fortunate enough to meet Roddick during the Wimbledon Championships of 2009. I was 17 and had been hired to mow the lawn at the house he was staying in. I did my job well, maintaining the garden's magnificent appearance. However, on my second visit, I accidentally mowed over my key to the side gate, slicing it in two. I wasn't concerned as I knew I could just climb over the fence and be on my way. It was as I straddled the gate that Roddick's car pulled up. Out he stepped, with his wife, mother, coach, nutritionist, the world and his dog in my eyes. I hastily mumbled something about losing my key and averted my face from the several bemused expressions. Andy walked past and nodded appreciatively, with an amused smirk on his face. It certainly reduced my embarrassment, but also has given me the desire to share my experience with as many people as possible (I have told this story as fair few times...).

I don't know Andy Roddick and I am certain that he doesn't remember our meeting at all, but I now have a favourable memory of him that nothing can tarnish. He may not have been the greatest tennis player of all time, but he won a grand slam, one of only fifteen men to do so this millennium. For that, I believe he deserves a lot of respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment