Tuesday 3 September 2013

My Own Deadline Day

Even excluding the day's football mayhem, I've had a busy day of packing and Russian around (best to get that one out of the way early on). My own deadlines have now been met, allowing me to recommence my blog, originally called "Mazza's Travels", then the very original "Alex Marrow's Blog" before emerging now as "Ra Ra Mazputin".

I'm going to Russia tomorrow, or to be more precise, Tomsk, a city in the depths of Siberia. Apart from that I know very little about where I'm going, but that's all part of the fun! The last few months have been spent gathering various items that I'll need ranging from a visa to thermal underwear. I've also had to savour some of the British cuisine that it might be hard to find in Russia, such as pizza and curry, as I venture into a world of the appetisingly named broth-based dishes, borsch and plov. In fact, Russia's most prestigious airline, Aeroflot, describes my in-flight meal as "bland", which sounds most appealing. I suppose you have to admire their honesty... However, I'm definitely not going to knock the food until I've tried it, but watch this space for my opinions.

Those of you who have visited my blog before may be pleased to hear that I am going to be writing on a weekly basis for the next year, after a long period in the shadows, only writing the odd piece about football, theatre and bizarre escapades. However, as I'm going abroad again, I'll be keeping people updated on here. I'm aiming to cater to all audiences, writing about sport, culture, food, people and that real crowd-pleaser, the "Meanwhile in Russia..." stories.

Hopefully, the motherland will provide me will some great anecdotes, keeping my readership sufficiently enthused. Whatever happens, I'll keep writing and maybe, you'll keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment