Wednesday 18 June 2014

Kick Off

The games have begun. Madness is upon us. Gringos have descended upon the country, worsening the traffic, but enhancing the party atmosphere. Patriotism is everywhere and Copacabana beach smells far more of sun cream than it ever did when occupied mostly by locals. It has been 10 days since I last wrote, and a phenomenal lot has happened in that time, not least the first week of the world’s greatest sporting event. Here is a brief summary.

My birthday celebrations were lovely. After four hours working in the morning, there was plenty of time for a long-awaited lazy afternoon on the beach with swimming, football and Pimms, something I had been saving for a couple of months. I even overcame a linguistic hurdle in managing to successfully exchange the crate of non-alcoholic lager that I had mistakenly bought in preparation for the festivities, for something slightly more flavoursome. An evening at Pedra do Sal, a street-samba party was the icing on the cake.

The majority of the week was spent up in the northeast of Brazil, in the Bahia region. Its capital, Salvador (incidentally Brazil’s first capital city many years ago), was playing host to several juicy World Cup games that had not escaped my notice when the draw was made last year. But first up was a visit to Salvador’s Fan Fest, a specific place for fans to convene and watch the match together on the big screen, surrounded by the many-headed beast that is FIFA and its sponsors. However, the beers and multitude of people gave it all a ‘carnaval’ feel and Brazil’s victory meant for an enjoyable evening.  

Holland 5-1 Spain
The two games I saw were Spain vs Holland and Germany vs Portugal; four European powerhouses going hammer and tongs; 10 goals in 2 games and a royal spanking for the Iberian Peninsula. Naturally, I was hoping to see the Spaniards lose, but 5-1 was beyond my wildest dreams. The second game was somewhat harder to choose sides as England doesn’t have a particularly good history against either of them, but I chose Portugal partly so that I could join in the chants and pretend to the foreigners that I was Portuguese, but mainly because of Ronaldo. He didn’t play too well, but I was just happy to be 10 metres away from him…

The king. 
In between the two matches, things got a little hectic. With two flatmates and one rogue Italian (he’s actually lovely, I’m just bitter), I rented a car in Salvador and embarked on a long journey that would take me over 1000km in 3 days and into the heart of the Chapada Diamantina national park. Sensational would be an understatement. The scenery was beautiful and being out in the middle of nowhere with a little Fiat ‘Attractive’ made it all the more special. The highlights were the ‘Morro de Pai Inácio’, which bore an uncanny resemblance to the Lion King, and the ‘Poço Azul’, an underground pool of remarkable depth, which was a blue as a smurf’s bottom.

Me on top of the world
Paradise pool
Getting back behind the wheel was also a lot of fun. From Brazilian motorways to dirt tracks, we saw it all, fortunately managing to avoid the major problems of speed bumps the size of horses and 26 metre-long lorries that overtake uphill and around blind corners. However, the journey did make me realise just how massive Brazil is. Relative to its size, we went nowhere. Although of course, the best part was realising that Brazil really has it all. The beaches on the coast to the mountains and rainforests inland; there is an abundance of diversity all over the place, just waiting to be discovered.
 
Capoeira at a waterfall
The Fiat 'Attractive'
All too soon, it was time to go home. After oversleeping, I raced to the airport only for the flight to be delayed, and eventually arrived home after a full day’s travelling. But I suppose you have to look on the bright side. I had seen two cracking games and visited some of Brazil’s finest places. What’s more, I’m off to São Paulo in a few hours for this big one. Uruguay, your move.

It's coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment