Sunday 1 December 2013

Tomsk's Olympic Welcome

Sochi’s Olympic torch arrived in Tomsk today and was gleefully paraded around the city. The setting sun was obscured by snowflakes as the Siberian weather finally obliged to give us some serious snow on the first day of winter. I headed to Novosobornaya Square, where hoards of people had gathered to witness Russia’s flame. The format was almost identical to the British torch relay from 2012, with police, running guards and coca-cola giveaways the main highlights. The vast crowds and fireworks displays created an excitable atmosphere in which I was only happy to indulge.

Excitable Russians and the torch
Other sporting escapades have come thick and fast for me. And as the UK Snooker Championship has kicked off in the last couple of days, what better time than to inform you of Russian billiards. This is an unusual game. The balls are numbered, but I haven’t yet worked out what they mean. The object of the game is to be the first to pot eight balls. You can use any as the cue ball and pot as many as you want in one go. This leads to a rather marvellous shot called the свояк (svoyak), involving the deflection of your chosen cue ball off a stationary ball and into the pocket. I have managed one thus far, but endeavour to improve. The major problem with this game is that the pockets are only just big enough for the balls. As a result, games can last for a while and the players’ patience can be tested. Fortunately, I have recently discovered that there is one English snooker table in Tomsk. I shall shortly be hunting it down…


As well as two trips to Tomsk’s organ hall (enjoying a magnificent Bach concert last night), I have managed to squeeze in a football session in the past week, leaving me a struggling mess of sore muscles and blistered feet. My lack of exercise has arguably been my fault, although I did join a gym to combat the issue. Unfortunately, the gym owners clearly considered a running machine unnecessary, meaning that cardio exercise has been difficult. Nevertheless, I am not one to be thwarted and regularly find myself sprinting home past bemused Russians, not in an effort to exercise, but to avoid being locked out by the babushka and having to spend the night on a snowy bench.  

A snowy scene, hopefully not a sleeping spot.  

But perhaps my most ambitious sporting mission has been attempting to teach by elementary level English students the rules of cricket. Even fluent English speakers, such as Americans, have difficulty understanding the rules of this sport, but for some reason I thought that my students could cope with it, despite the fact that many of the cricketing terms don’t even exist in Russian. I had envisaged an interactive role play about Trott’s departure, sledging and Bell’s potential rise up the batting order to number 3. Instead, the hour and a half was painful and torturous for all parties involved. I see this as yet another mistake that I can learn from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment